Selling a property in today’s Sarasota real estate market can be a daunting task. The buying frenzy of 2022 is in the rearview and higher prices combined with higher mortgage rates have decreased buyer demand and affordability. When selling your property in the Sarasota area today, there are a few simple things you can do to make your property stand out from the crowd and increase its appeal to buyers, which will help you sell your property for more money in less time:
- Start with a deep clean. A clean and tidy home will always be more attractive to buyers than one that is cluttered and dirty. Take the time to do a deep clean of your home, paying special attention to the kitchen and bathrooms, or hire a cleaning company to do so. Other than deferred maintenance, very few things will drive buyers in our market away faster than a dirty home.
- Make small repairs. Fix any small repairs that you’ve been putting off, such as a leaky faucet or a cracked tile. These small repairs can make a big difference in the overall appearance of your home. Unless you’re selling a true fixer upper, the home should not present any “projects” to buyers. People want move-in ready, your job is to make it so. If possible, have the home inspected prior to listing so you can proactively address any issues.
- Add some curb appeal. The outside of your home is the first thing buyers will see, and it sets the stage for their expectations of the inside. I’ve seen buyers turn around and leave before they reached the front door. Mow the lawn, trim the bushes, and add a few potted plants to the front porch. Check the yard for debris every morning, and remove any trash that blows in. Pressure wash the exterior of your home and the driveway. Make sure your trash bins are out of site. First impressions are everything in real estate.
- De-clutter. Clutter is a huge no-no when listing a property. Most buyers just aren’t willing or able to look past it, and it often raises the question “If they can’t keep the inside neat, what problems are we going to find under the hood?” When you are selling a property, you are selling a product. Your job is to present that product in the best light possible. You don’t have to BECOME a minimalist, you just want it to SEEM like you are. Rent a storage unit if you have to.
- Take GREAT photos. Professional photos of your home are a must in today’s digital age. Most Realtors will hire a professional photographer (at their own expense) to take high-quality photos of your property that will make it stand out on online listings. For some properties, drone photos can be very helpful. Whatever you do, PLEASE do not use cell phone pictures. When choosing a Realtor, it’s perfectly acceptable to ask for examples of other listings they’ve sold so you can see the photos they used. Buyers decide which properties to see in person based on the photos, and in today’s market you need to get buyers through the door in order to sell.
If you’re thinking about selling your property in the Sarasota area, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. With my expertise in the local real estate market, I can help you make your property stand out in a competitive market and sell it for the most money in the least amount of time. Contact me today to schedule a consultation and let’s get it sold!